Re: (PM) Global Village modem disconnect problem

John W Baxter (jwblist@olympus.net)
Fri, 7 Nov 1997 15:05:49 -0800

At 11:28 -0800 11/7/97, Ben Conner wrote:
>Has anyone experienced a disconnect problem with Global Village Platinum
>33.6 modems connecting to a PM3 w/ 3.7.1c1 w/ the 56K cards installed? I
>have a couple of users who are having frequent disconnects while dialling in.

My Platinum is out on loan...my GV 56 is not disconnecting (or doing flex,
but I think that's because the 360-437 switch doesn't allow flex).

Global Village external modems should be used with "Flow Control" set to
CTS Only in the Config PPP control panel or FreePPP Setup applications.
Their captive cable doesn't do well with the CTS & RTS (DTR) setting. [Per
a GV tech support guy who appers often in comp.sys.mac.comm]

For OT/PPP, the modem script from Global Village, not the one from Apple,
should be used (Apple supplies the Global Village script with MacOS8 in the
Additional Modem Scripts installation in the CD Extras folder on the MacOS8
CD). The Platinum should use the "GV 28.8/33.6 for ARA 2.1 OT/PPP" script.
The Apple-written script is very poor.

--John

--
John Baxter (Born before ENIAC, but not by much.)
   jwblist@olympus.net      Port Ludlow, WA, USA