Re: (PM) OR-U: no default route to learned IP address?

Tom (tom@sdf.com)
Fri, 7 Nov 1997 10:24:34 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 7 Nov 1997, Stephen Zedalis wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Nov 1997, John Kelly wrote:
>
> >I was considering an OR-U until I read this. Someone else posted
> >on the list how some competitive routers were brain dead, but this
> >limitation seems brain dead to me.
>
> Why not just have RIP or OSPF (Livingston, unlike Ascend's Pipelines
> understands OSPF) pass a default route to the connection? I wouldn't want

No, the OR-U doesn't understand OSPF either. I find it amusing that you
suggest this, as this is well known limitation.

> to automajically do it anyway, as sometimes the OR-U will NOT want its WAN
> connection to have the default route if it is at the provider end (In
> which case the ether0 interface should have the default route). THAT could
> be construed as brain-dead behavior. And you may not want to listen to a

Who said that it should always use the farside address? No one
suggested that.

No, what is being asked here, is a way to do:

set gateway location xyz

to set the default route, not to an IP, but to a location.

Tom