(PM) 3Com Impact IQ to Portmaster, not working yet

John Kelly (jak@cetlink.net)
Fri, 07 Nov 1997 12:14:40 -0500

>From: Kelley Lingerfelt <pm2e@cococo.net>
>
> It was mentioned on the list a couple of months ago, that
> the 3Com Impact IQ supposedly had the best pots line capability.
> FWIW.

It's not worth much here. I've been trying for 5 days to get a 3Com
Impact IQ to talk ISDN to my ISP's PM3 with little success. It will
connect to Bellsouth.net ISDN with no problems, but to my ISP's PM3 it
fails at least 50% of the time. My ISP has no one else using the 3Com
TA and can't help much.

Bellsouth sent out two techs with a D-channel protocol analyzer and it
reported that the 3Com was not sending caller id number in the call
setup message -- it put all zeros in the field where the number should
be. They suggested that might cause the CO switch to act strangely and
left the problem in my hands.

>From: Scott Rothgaber <scott@easley.net>
>
>I checked this thing out on 3COM's site and it seems to be *LOADED*
>with good features. The price is right, too. I've been quoted as low
>as $275.

The price is very seductive. I bought mine from Computer Discount
Warehouse for $250. But I've been waiting FOUR DAYS for a callback from
3Com tech support. I called back and complained about the lack of
response and they told me their "free support was on a best effort
basis," and suggested that with a support contract I would get faster
response. Do they expect me to pay for a support contract to help
defray their debugging expenses? Apparently so.

Don't expect much help from 3Com if you have a problem. I wish SMC made
ISDN TA's. Whenever I've called their tech support it's been quick and
first rate. This experience with 3Com has been my first and likely my
last.

John