(PM) APC's

Bob Bloise (bbloise@trellis.net)
Thu, 6 Nov 1997 11:31:38 -0500

I use the APC UPS's and have been real happy with them. Back when I had
the analog modems before I purchased the Livingston PM3's an accident
happened on our corner. A car hit the pole and dropped the HV line down on
our distribution line. 14,400 volts came ripping through the building.
Light bulbs that were plugged in but not turned on were exploding. We lost
our entire modem bank because the high voltage went through the phone
system and into the telco jacks. (Naturally this happened on the first day
of our newspaper announcement when we went into the Internet business).. I
lost over $38,000 worth of test equipment, Tektronic Scopes, Sencore test
equipment, etc.

All of our computers and servers were plugged into the APC's and not a one
of them suffered any kind of damage. The APC's protected the computers
with no problems.

Many time during storms our lights will flicker and go out for a few
minutes, the APC's whistle and let us know when there is a problem but I
have never lost any data or had to reboot because of a brownout or power
outage.

I highly recommend the APC UPS's.

Bob

----------
> From: Jeff Halper <jefflist@ihot.com>
> To: portmaster-users@livingston.com
> Subject: (PM) PM3 and UPS Power
> Date: Thursday, November 06, 1997 10:32 AM
>
> Can I use an APC 600VA or a Tripp Omnismart 675 to protect a Portmaster 3
> from low voltage, brownouts and blackouts? Anyone use these units?
>

> Jeff Halper
> Internet Hotline
> 408/881-1000
> http://www.ihot.com
> mailto:jeff@ihot.com
>
> -
> To unsubscribe, email 'majordomo@livingston.com' with
> 'unsubscribe portmaster-users' in the body of the message.

Bob