Re: (PM) trouble with reverse dns...

Leonard (pmfan@infinetgroup.com)
Tue, 4 Nov 1997 13:34:50 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 4 Nov 1997, Bubba Smith wrote:

> What if any settings on a PM3 should I set to allow reverse dns? Is it
> "reported_ip"? Have had a couple customers complain that they were denied
> downloads because site(ie...Microsoft 128bit encrypt) would not recognize
> them as having "state-side" ip's when dns lookup is done on them.
>
> Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

What those sites are doing is taking the IP address of a browsing client
(say 1.2.3.4) and looking up the hostname for it. This has nothing to do
with the Portmasters. It has to do with your DNS servers. You either
didn't name any of the IPs in your dialup pool, or your upstream provider
who gave you the netblock forget to set reverse DNS to redirect queries
for that block to your DNS servers.