RE: (PM) First time PM2 Config help!!!

Dahnke, Eric (E.DAHNKE@CGNET.COM)
Sun, 02 Nov 1997 22:22:34 -0800

----------
From: Stephen Fisher
To: Dahnke, Eric (CGNET)
Cc: 'portmaster-users@livingston.com'
Sent: 11/2/97 9:38:00 PM
Subject: Re: (PM) First time PM2 Config help!!!

On Sun, 2 Nov 1997, Dahnke, Eric wrote:

> I bought a used PM2e and am trying to configure it for the first time.

> I have PMconsole working and Radius working, but my PM will not
> authenticate users even via the internal users table.

Will it authenticate through Radius correctly? Why do you want to use
the
internal users table?

Well, I thought that would be a logical place to start. No sense
screwing around with Radius if the PM won't even authenticate from it's
own users table. Dale helped me setup the Radius, and am quite sure
it's set up properly.

> I have followed the setup examples found on the Livingston website,
and
> have played trial and error with every parameter I can think of. My
> win95 DUN client always returns an error of "DUN cound not negociate a
> compatible set of network protocols..." The client has only TCP/IP
> enabled.

If this is with the internal users table please show it to me in email,
if
it is a Radius entry please show me the Radius entry and what
version/name
of Radius server you are using (such as Livingston's v2.0.1). RadiusNT
see below? From Livingston or Dale's Radius NT?

Dale's Radius.

> I'm not interested in getting the IP connection to the client via
> Radius. I'm trying to use the PM's internal users table. (Although
> when I do try with RadusNT running I can see that Radius never
receives
> an authentication request (There is ethernet activity though)).

Okay.. then it is trying to do it through the internal table. Please
show
me the user entry in that table.

I'm using ComOS 3.3.3. Okay here's the user's entry in the User Table

Username: Test1
User Type: Network
Address Type: Assigned (I have a pool of 30 addresses which are valid)
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Protocol: PPP/IP
MTU 1006 (although I tried with 1500 = same result)
Routing: Listen enabled, Broadcast not enabled
Compression: enabled

On the Win95 client I still receive garbage characters as the first
response. I tried your suggestions of setting the port speed to 115200.
Hardware flow control is set on both modems. Client modem is a USR
Sportster 28.8. Answering modem is a MT ZDX 28.8. Both modems are set
to their Factory default settings.

The PM has the 1, 2, and 3 speeds all set to 115200

I appreciate your help.

Rgrds,

- Eric