Re: (PM) First time PM2 Config help!!!

Stephen Fisher (lithium@cia-g.com)
Sun, 2 Nov 1997 22:38:00 -0700 (MST)

On Sun, 2 Nov 1997, Dahnke, Eric wrote:

> I bought a used PM2e and am trying to configure it for the first time.
> I have PMconsole working and Radius working, but my PM will not
> authenticate users even via the internal users table.

Will it authenticate through Radius correctly? Why do you want to use the
internal users table?

> I have followed the setup examples found on the Livingston website, and
> have played trial and error with every parameter I can think of. My
> win95 DUN client always returns an error of "DUN cound not negociate a
> compatible set of network protocols..." The client has only TCP/IP
> enabled.

If this is with the internal users table please show it to me in email, if
it is a Radius entry please show me the Radius entry and what version/name
of Radius server you are using (such as Livingston's v2.0.1). RadiusNT I
see below? From Livingston or Dale's Radius NT?

> I'm not interested in getting the IP connection to the client via
> Radius. I'm trying to use the PM's internal users table. (Although
> when I do try with RadusNT running I can see that Radius never receives
> an authentication request (There is ethernet activity though)).

Okay.. then it is trying to do it through the internal table. Please show
me the user entry in that table.

> If anyone can think of a probable cause to the problem I'm having I'd
> appreciate any thoughts.
>
> Here are my suspicions (go easy I'm new to Portmasters)
>
> - Do I need to set a default host? I have a Linux box which I can
> create users on, but I thought that Radius would eliminate this
> necessity.

No, this is only if you have shell accounts on a Unix server you want
users to be able to log directly into by dialing in (instead of telnetting
from a ppp account0. This is also only used if you don't specify the host
to telnet to in the Radius users file.

> - What type of Port Type (Login?, Network/Login?) do I want for a PM
> users table authentication? (When I switch to Radius authentication?)

I set mine up as "login network dialin" to allow shell logins, network
(ppp) logins and dialin only (not out which would be twoway).

> - What type of Login Service (Telnet, Rlogin, Portmaster) do I want for
> a PM users table authentication?

It doesn't matter unless you are using a Unix server with shell accounts..
in which case I recommend rlogin ir in.pmd ("Portmaster") if your platform
is supported (a lot aren't).

> - Do I need to go through this configuring of the modems bit. (This is
> about the only parameter I ahve played with) I see that the modem is
> initialized with ATZ. The modems seem to do their job fine - Connect
> echange packets, etc...

Then this part probably isn't causing the modems.. you can (and I do) init
the modems with proper init strings for the particular modem.

> - I can see that the win95 client is receiving a prompt from the PM. I
> looks like garbage characters though. I assume this is the Login prompt
> with some type of encryption?

No. When it answers and there is garbage it means (most likely) that the
speed of the modems and the Portmaster on your end probably aren't set
right.

Make sure you are using the same three speeds - usually 115200 with
today's modems.

set s0 speed 115200
set s0 speed 2 115200
set s0 speed 3 115200

And lock the speed of the modem's serial port at the 115200 speed. You'll
probably want to use RTS/CTS and no XON/XOFF for flow control on your
ports.

Feel free to drop me a line if you need more help - either on the list or
privately.

Have fun. =)

- Steve
- Systems Manager