Re: 56K Modems - Do I really want mine?

Karl Denninger (karl@Mcs.Net)
Mon, 18 Aug 1997 22:58:59 -0500

On Mon, Aug 18, 1997 at 11:46:31PM -0400, Scott Lagos wrote:
> So with all these reported problems with the 56K modems, is anyone willing
> to say..."Keep'em Livingston......and send them to me when they work."?
>
> I have been a loyal Livingston customer for several years and I have fought
> off MAX and TC sales people banging on my door over the past few months.
>
> I currently have orders for more PM3s but now I'm starting to
> wonder......do I stick with the older modem cards and wait until the new
> cards work better, or take my chances.
>
> Is anyone using the new cards satisfied with them at all or to any degree?
>
> Thanks
> Scott

Yes. There are some fairly serious V.42 problems with some client modems,
but there are workarounds for the 95th percentile of these.

K56Flex mode works great if you have the right client modem and decent lines.

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service
			     | NEW! K56Flex modem support is now available
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| 56kbps DIGITAL ISDN DOV on analog lines!
Fax:   [+1 312 803-4929]     | 2 FULL DS-3 Internet links; 400Mbps B/W Internal