Re: QUAKE/UDP/PM3

Jaime Bozza (wheelman@nuc.net)
Fri, 15 Aug 1997 10:54:35 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 15 Aug 1997, Jake Messinger wrote:

> HIS CUSTOMERS who log into his server, are coming in on MODEMS on the pm
> 3, Jaime.

Well, then, I apologize. That wasn't clear in your message.

And I'm very surprised. Perhaps local servers don't show the same
problems? Perhaps Quake doesn't show the problem, whereas Quakeworld
does? Since I don't play Quake myself (anymore), I don't know all the
details with the Quakeworld client, but that is what's primarily played
here. If they're on a fast server (low ping times through QSpy) it's not
as bad, though the pauses seem to happen frequently. If they're on a
server with a ping time (Again, QSpy) of 200-250ms or more, they get
U_REMOVE errors, as well as the plug graphic (Disconnection from Server).

Again, PM2's, as well as a Worldgroup System running Intelligent Serial
ports do not have this behavior. We do not currently have a Quake or
QuakeWorld server inhouse, so I can't answer for the local servers.

Jaime Bozza
Nucleus Communications, Inc.