Re: New disconnect messages

Marty Likier (marty@livingston.com)
Fri, 15 Aug 1997 07:44:55 -0700

At 11:09 PM 8/14/97 -0700, John W Baxter wrote:
>You may also see
> LAPM RETRY LIMIT
>which doesn't sound as benign as
> LAPM DISCONNECT
>
>LAPM RETRY LIMIT seems from the wording to imply that one side or the other
>(likely the Portmaster) got tired of fumbling by the other side, took its
>marbles, and went home. We hope these go away soon when our T1s are
>adjusted.

LAPM RETRY LIMIT means the remote client NAK'd a packet and asked for a
retransmission. The PortMaster 3 obliged, and resent the packet. Again the
client NAK'd it and asked for the packet again. This can only go so long
(actually 12 times) before the PortMaster 3 disconnects and issues a
(exceeded) LAPM RETRY LIMIT. This is generally due to very noisy phone lines.

--
Marty Likier
Product Marketing Mgr.