Re: Config of my USERS FILE - ?? MTU ??

Tim Hodges, Triangle Telephone Cooperative Assoc. (7thodges@3rivers.net)
Wed, 06 Aug 1997 10:01:04 -0600

There is value in adjusting the MTU even on noiseless telephone lines..

The basis of this is that there is a standard MTU for each type of
layer 1/layer 2 network. For ethernet the default is 1500, for PPP
it is 576. Now the problem is a bug in Win95 DUN that sets the MTU to
1500. Each time a transmission is made it tries sending it with an MTU
of 1500 and fails, and then must downshift to 576. If you adjust the
MTU to 576 to begin with this downshift never happens.

I did do this on my own machine and several others and have seen a
tremendous speed increase. It is possible (as I have done) to use
a modem log file and the Windows system monitor utility to actually
measure the improvement.

The easiest way to adjust the MTU on Win95 is a utility that I picked
up called TweakDUN. It is available at
http://www.gulftel.com/~pattersc/tweakdun/

This program saves the trouble (and possible risk) of hand editing
the registry..

Tim Hodges
7thodges@3rivers.net