Re: modem calls to PM3 with no modems

Stephen Zedalis (tintype@exis.net)
Tue, 5 Aug 1997 21:25:58 -0400 (EDT)

What you are doing wrong is putting PM-3's with absolutely no modems
first. If a PM-3 has zero modems it behaves differently, it treats any
voice calls coming in as ISDN Data Over Voice. There you are going to get
an answer but then apparent silence on the line as the chassis waits for
an ISDN DOV negotiation. If there is at least one modem card in the PM-3,
the unit does NOT make this Data Over Voice assumption and if the modem
cards fill up, it signals busy so it can roll over to the next PRI/unit.
Your best bet is to have at least one modem card in the first two chassis
and then put the rest of the cards in the last units. This behavior is
still not documented although it was discussed on this list over 6 months
ago.