Re: Forcing traffic to port 80 to go to squid server (fwd)

M Lyons (lyonsm@netbistro.com)
Mon, 28 Jul 1997 11:32:30 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 27 Jul 1997, MegaZone wrote:

> Once upon a time Evan Champion shaped the electrons to say...

> >I want to force all traffic going from users on my PM3 to port 80 on the
> >net to be redirected to my squid cache server.

> You can block access to the net on port 80 and only permit access to port
> 80 on your cache.

> But there is no way for you to redirect the traffic. All you can do is
> block other access and tell the users to reconfigure their browsers.

Paul Vixie recently mentioned that he was working on a "transparent,
active, caching web proxy" for a European customer that basically did what
you describe, without the customers having to change any settings.

I imagine it would still require the (hopefully pretty safe) assumption
that all traffic bound for port 80 is going to be HTTP.

Doesn't seem to be any info on vix.com about it but you can email them if
you are interested.

-m