Re: BGP Table is growwwinngg.

Stephen Zedalis (tintype@exis.net)
Mon, 28 Jul 1997 10:11:37 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 28 Jul 1997, Phil Taylor wrote:

>One of our customers got an eMail message from their upstream bandwidth
>provider today. Apparantly there has been a bit of a spurt of new routes
>recently and the size of the Internet's BGP table has caused some
>providers Cisco's with ONLY 32MB Ram to start falling over due to lack
>of memory.
>
>Maybe LE should sell their BGP code to Cisco as 'according to LE' they
>can fit the entire table (at it's current size) in a measley 16M.

Actually I have full routes (45K routes) (two copies) in a Cisco 7010 and
it seems to take up 21 MB (of 64) and I have heard of people who have one
copy on a 16MB 2501. So the ability is not a Livingston-only thing. Since
you may have duplicate routes to/from each peer if you are not filtering,
this would probably preclude architectures where you are in the middle of
several peers with no clear defaults.