Re: Forcing traffic to port 80 to go to squid server

Kevin Fink (kevin@n2h2.com)
Sun, 27 Jul 1997 09:01:18 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 27 Jul 1997, Evan Champion wrote:

> I want to force all traffic going from users on my PM3 to port 80 on the
> net to be redirected to my squid cache server.
>
> Can I do this with filters? I've been reading and at the moment all
> I've seen is permit/deny, not a redirect statement. Any other
> suggestions?
>
> Evan

This is not possible without adding some additional hardware to the mix.
The PM3 will not redirect packets, and even if it did, that wouldn't solve
your problem. It would have to also encapsulate the original destination
IP address, at least until everyone uses the Host: HTTP header.

You can get the desired effect, but not without a bit of trouble and some
possibly serious side-effects. The general idea is to add a transparent
firewall between the PM3 and your gateway router. Linux, for example, has
this capability. It will redirect packets with port 80 as the destination
to the Squid server.

For a detailed explanation of how to implement this, along with a
discussion of the limitations of the scheme, take a look at the Squid FAQ:

http://squid.nlanr.net/Squid/FAQ/FAQ-5.html#ss5.6

Kevin

Kevin Fink <kevin@fink.com> N2H2, Creators of Bess
http://www.fink.com/ 1301 Fifth Avenue, Suite 1501
http://www.n2h2.com/ Seattle, WA 98101
(206) 971-1400 VOICE (206) 971-1460 FAX (206) 680-7666 PAGER