RE: My version of userlog

Joe Hartley (jh@brainiac.com)
Sun, 27 Jul 1997 10:07:46 -0400 (EDT)

On 27-Jul-97 John-David Childs wrote:
>Included below is my version of the oft-posted "userlog" script. This one
>is based on the userlog script posted earlier today by Joe Hartley (which
>had a missing '}" in the if ARGV[1] construct).

Sorry about that! I must've screwed up the copy-n-paste!

>I have changed userlog so that *instead of* printing the username (kinda
>redundant :-) and port on each line, it prints the input & output octets
>AND the DISCONNECT CAUSE for each login. This makes userlog very useful
>for seeing patterns of online time, bytes transferred, and disconnect
>causes.

I added the port to help isolate disconnect problems! It has helped us find
borderline modems on more than one occasion. "Hmmm, they keep complaining of
disconnects, and it's always when they're on port 22!" Of course, that's a
lot less important on a PM3, but we're not there yet.

We've also used it to prove to a customer that there was activity on the
account - nothing like seeing the login over and over to prove the point that
they had logged in and connected :)

Obviously this little prog can be modified rather easily to produce any of
the fields stored in the RADIUS log.

Thanks to Dave Andersen for writing it in the first place!

Joe Hartley - jh@brainiac.com - brainiac services, inc
PO Box 5069 : Greene, RI : 02827 - vox 401.539.9050 : fax 401.539.2070