Re: ISDN on Channelized T1?

Donald Reiher (dreiher@compsupport.com)
Sat, 26 Jul 1997 14:12:54 -0400

>On Sat, 26 Jul 1997, Donald Reiher wrote:
>
>> >The caller must call using Data Over Voice, or 56k
>>
>> I am not familiar with that. I thought ISDN was 2 64K B channels and 1
>> 16K D channel.
>>
>> I reset my modem to use 56K bandwidth, and v.120, and was able to
>> connect.
>>
>> Isn't that really just using a throttled down B channel? What I mean
>> is, Bell is charging me 2cents a minute for a channel which I could be
>> running at 64K for the same price.
>
>Yes, but that is what PRI lines are for. Channelized-T1's have 56k
>channels available for data where PRI have 64k channels.

Thanks. Now it makes sense. Now the hard question. I will be reselling
primarily to small businesses who want a small web server, or light
browsing on the LAN. Isn't a single B channel DOV line cheaper than "ISDN"
(2B1D)? If so, and since all my users could get by fine with 56K, why
would anyone in their right mind market 2B1D$$$$$ for single users????