Re: BGP on dialup links?

Stephen Zedalis (tintype@exis.net)
Thu, 24 Jul 1997 15:06:50 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 24 Jul 1997 patrick@namesecure.com wrote:

>I think you are talking about Livingston's implementation of BGP. Cisco
>has iBGP specifically designed for use as an IGP.

Not so. iBGP is solely for distributing routing information among several
border routers that speak eBGP. It is not meant as an IGP. In fact, BGP
will not advertise a route unless an IGP or static does also. You should
be running OSPF inside the AS, and BGP on external links. And if you are
multi-homed with several exit routers, they need to have a full mesh of
iBGP between them (or be running route reflectors). This is not just a
Cisco thing, its in the BGP4 RFC.