Re: BGP on dialup links? (was anyway)

Dick St.Peters (stpeters@NetHeaven.com)
Thu, 24 Jul 1997 12:00:25 -0400

Scott Leonello writes:
> On Wed, 23 Jul 1997, MegaZone wrote:
>
> > We are looking at OSPF over dial links, a good case has been built for that.
>
> what about just fixing the OSPF you have first? you never even reply to
> the broken OSPF issues. i have a pool of 400 modems suffering from this
> and livingston has nothing to say. i can make my routers ignore the BAD
> CHECKSUMS but i cant make the portmasters ignore it. my network is flakey
> as hell because of this. we have sent emails to support and to you,
> we have called support and waited 4 days for someone to say "uh, well,
> it is a problem with everything but us."

>From our experience, Livingston OSPF works like a charm.

We've been running OSPF since long before Livingston had it, and we
now have a mixture of ciscos and PMs (both 2s and 3s) running OSPF at
four POPs. We have yet to see a checksum problem.

OSPF gets a workout on our network too - most of our users have static
IPs, so most dialup connections add a route at the start and delete
one at the end. A good many users route small subnets via their
dialups; a lot of them call different POPs at different times.

If some people are having problems, I would suggest putting your
energy into figuring out what is common to the people having problems.
If there is something wrong with Livingston's OSPF, it is something
narrow and specific, not something broadscale and general.

--
Dick St.Peters, stpeters@NetHeaven.com
Gatekeeper, NetHeaven, Saratoga Springs, NY, 1-800-910-6671 (voice)