Re: Packard bell

Dick St.Peters (stpeters@NetHeaven.com)
Thu, 24 Jul 1997 08:17:04 -0400

Brian Grainger writes:
> ** Reply to note from "Dick St.Peters" <stpeters@NetHeaven.com> Wed, 23 Jul 1997 21:40:08 -0400
> Ahhh, what ever happened to those good old Packard-Bell radios
> that they sold in the 'Thirties?
>
> Big solid tubes, tough steel chassis, nice mahogany cabinets. That's
> the way computers should be built. Get rid of all those artsy-fartsy
> integrated circuits, junky software, tinny modems, plastic boxes.

I don't exactly date to the '30s, but I first programmed an IBM
mainframe in 1964, and I remember tubes, real core memory, and
computer center tours that meant touring the inside of the computer.
I'll take the integrated circuits, thank you.

> Sure would make my life easier.

Remember punchcards?

--
Dick St.Peters, stpeters@NetHeaven.com
Gatekeeper, NetHeaven, Saratoga Springs, NY, 1-800-910-6671 (voice)