Re: Fewer Modem Cards

Christer Olsson (cox@clavicula.mednet.gu.se)
Thu, 24 Jul 1997 13:57:48 +0200 (CET)

On Wed, 23 Jul 1997, Jon Rust wrote:

> It finally occured to me that with a user base of both ISDN and analog=20
> customers, it's HIGHLY unlikely that all 46 modems (48 for some of us)=20
> will ever be in use. With this in mind, are there any drawbacks to having=
=20
> only, say, 40 modems worth of cards in a PM-3? It will still work, right?=
=20
> I mean, it won't turn into a pumpkin or anything will it? :-)
>=20
> But seriously, besides the chance that >40 analog users will all call in=
=20
> at one time, with no ISDN callers at all, are there any drawbacks?

We discussed that some time ago. Like the problem if you only have 40=20
modemlines and a modem-caller is on the 41 line. Does he got a busy or=20
only a silence from the portmaster? Someone from Livingston said he will=20
get busy but I haven=B4t tried myself. But we=B4ll maybe do that in future=
=20
because we=B4re only plans to buy a second 10-port modemcard for a total of=
=20
20 modems and hire 22-24 ISDN channels from the phone company (we can=20
hire 8-30 ISDN-channels) giving us a total of 20 modems and a few ISDN in=
=20
same time.=20

> For example, right now 11 out of 28 ports in use are ISDN calls in 1 of=
=20
> my POPs. The other is 5 out of 18.

Seems 4 10modemcards for a 46-48 line PM is enough for you. The=20
ISDN-callers will never be fewer.=20