Re: Cisco 2503 - PM2ei (fwd)

Jon Lewis (jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net)
Wed, 23 Jul 1997 23:13:34 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 23 Jul 1997, MegaZone wrote:

> Once upon a time Jon Lewis shaped the electrons to say...
> >Does anyone have a sample Cisco config to get this working?
> >
> >Found Livingston dump format
> >
> >Received LCP_CONFIGURE_REQUEST on port S1 of 10 bytes containing:
> >01 81 00 0e 03 04 c0 23 05 06 00 a3 ce 34
> >Fixed #bytes to match #found...
> >Recvd from port S1: 16 bytes LCP Request-129
> > Authentication-Protocol = PAP
> > Magic-Number = 0x00a3ce34
> >
> >Sending LCP_CONFIGURE_NAK to port S1 of 9 bytes containing:
> >03 81 00 09 03 05 c2 23 05
> >Sent to port S1: 11 bytes LCP Refuse-129
> > Authentication-Protocol = CHAP 0x05
>
> Looks like the Cisco wants *US* to authenticate to *THEM*.
>
> No way, no how will we do that with PAP.

I realized this and remembered previous posts about it later in the day.
Cisco asks for PAP, PM says no I won't PAP, but how about CHAP?

I called Cisco and asked how to tell the 2503 to auth with PAP but not ask
the PM to auth. The notes are at work, but it was something like:
int bri0
ppp auth pap callin
which from the online "help" means "Authenticate remote on incoming call
only".

For some reason, the client who needs this info hasn't returned my
calls...so I assume they got it working (they were initially dialing into
another ISP) or they found better things to do.

Jon Lewis <jlewis@fdt.net> | Unsolicited commercial e-mail will
Network Administrator | be proof-read for $199/message.
Florida Digital Turnpike |
________Finger jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net for PGP public key_______