Re: Heads Up.

Adam Wills (sysadmin@global2000.net)
Mon, 21 Jul 1997 10:49:46 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 19 Jul 1997, Jon Lewis wrote:

> It got me thinking that maybe I should dedicate a box to network
> sniffing...but now that we have switches that would be a PITA to do a
> complete job. I'm thinking of putting a sniffer on the same switch port
> (via small hub) as our main router.

Depending on the switches you use, this is not a problem. With software,
our Bay Networks Switches we can create groups of switching, or
non-switching machines or networks. In essence, you can tell it to put
your new packet-sniffer computer in with another computer to see its
packets, then via snmp send a call to move the sniffer to another group,
then another etc. This way you remain switched to protect your self from
sniffing, yet can easily and quickly sniff any portion of your own
network, without EVER touching a cable :) It works for us (slightly
simplified above, but the principal works).

Adam Wills Global 2000 Communications
Director of Networking Systems 1840 Western Ave.
sysadmin@global2000.net Albany, NY, 12203
http://www.global2000.net (518) 452-1465