Re: Upgrade of 3.5.1b17 (fwd)

CYGNET Support (support@granite.cyg.net)
Sat, 19 Jul 1997 22:28:29 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 19 Jul 1997, MegaZone wrote:

> Once upon a time CygNet Support shaped the electrons to say...
> >Tried upgrading our oldest PM2er today with PMconsole 3.1.4 for
> >Win95. The upgrade failed. The PMconsole never finished and when I
>
> Do you mean 3.5.1.4?
That is the version I used

> If not, make sure you use that version, nothing earlier.
>
> >looked the the task for PMconsole was not responding. I tried the
> >upgrade again and the same thing happened. When I telnet to the box
> >it shows a bunch of system messages. I have not rebooted the box yet.
> >Actually I am on the box in question sending this email.
>
> It is still running on the image in RAM - if you rebooted it now it would
> probably need to be netbooted to be recovered. As long as it doesn't reboot
> you still have a shot at upgrading it.
I have not rebooted yet. The box is still running

> >Any ideas on how to get this thing upgraded??? Our other three PM's
> >upgraded great!
>
> This was with the same PC/PMconsole/ComOS setup?
Yes. Same machine upgraded all the others. I tried loading on a different
machine with the same results.

> I don't know what would cause the failure on this one unit. Do you perhaps
> have another machine to try it from just to eliminate that variable?
>
> Another thing, since the unit is already hosed if it were to reboot, could
> be to 'erase comos' and clear the FLASH before upgrading. (Older versions
> of ComOS didn't have the 'erase' command so you may need to use hex codes
> as in the config guide.)
I have done this before with someone from Livingston but was a while ago.
What is the procedure for eraseing the COMOS as I am without config guide
at this site.

Regards Eugene