Re: A portmaster time out

Kelley Lingerfelt (pm2e@cococo.net)
Thu, 17 Jul 1997 18:24:01 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 17 Jul 1997, Brian Elfert wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Jul 1997, Robert Hiltibidal wrote:
>
> > I have been using the pmwho utility in a cron job at regular intervals for
> > web based administration. During peak errors I get a "lpmwho: pm1 timed
> > out error" I have 12 portmasters on this network and the only one I get
> > timed out errors on is pm1. It is the busiest of all of the portmasters,
> > ie all 30 ports are usually busy.
>
> You've probably got some hung telnet sessions on that Portmaster. The PMs
> can only have four telnet sessions at a time.

I seriously doubt that, this happens to us off and on a lot, I remember
a message on the mailing list a month or two ago, it went something like
this:

Why do telnet sessions work faster when you have a telnet session
already open to a PM?

I never saw a reply or even an acknowledgement, but believe me it is a
true statement. Try it, open a telnet session to as many of the
portmasters as you can, and then run your pmwho program, I bet it will
finish twice as fast if not faster.

> > Is there anything I can do to this portmaster to keep it from timing out?
> > I'be been thinking about adding more memory but my boss doesn't believe
> > that's the source of the problem. Its running comos 3.3.3 We'll be making
> > the switch to ComOS 3.5 once its out of beta testing.

Jake, said in one of his posts, that it seemed to actually slow down
telnet sessions when he added more memory. You would have to check the
archives, but it was something about going thru all the memory before the
connection was established.

> ComOS 3.5 for the PM2 series has been out of beta for about 6 months.
> 3.5.1 is still in beta. 3.5 seems to work just fine unless you have a
> PM2ER, and are using the sync port.

Yeah, you might as well upgrade, but I doubt it will help with your
problem.

> Brian

Later
Kelley