Re: [Q]: NAS-Port-Type = 56K perhaps? (fwd)

Adam Wills (sysadmin@global2000.net)
Thu, 17 Jul 1997 15:19:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 17 Jul 1997, Stephen Fisher wrote:

> They do now, it's easy and available in at least 3.5.1b20 (it may not be
> in b8 but came along in one of those betas before 20). Look at
> Connect-Info = " ... " in the Radius logs. If the connection rate is
> above 33.6k it's a 56k call. Simple as that.

Yep, if that is in there then you have all you need to determine who is
using it. I can understand some people wanting to authenticate via
NAS-Port-Type, but quite frankly i'd just say bill them if they use (sort
of the sollution livingston recomends for multiple logins) after the fact
:)

> This sounds like just deploying PM3's to do 56k modem junk. There are
> millions of other better reasons to put in a digital dial-in system.

Very good point. But I mostly see from this list most isp's have
bought one or two pm3's to 'test' and plan to upgrade all older
analog evetually. I dunno about everyone else, but if you have 400 lines
to upgrade all at once (every 6-18 months the way this industry works) you
certainly don't jump into buying more than you absolutely need to support
the current trend. We see better connections on our non-analog lines for
some customers than to our pure-ditital lines, sounds stupid but thanks to
some of the smaller NRBOC's out there you gotta deal with 'crap'.

> > 56k vs analog attribute) and see when you need more pure digital modems.
>
> K56Flex connections ARE analog.

My bad, I was refering to the NAS-Port attribute, which people want to see
digital connections (x2/56kflex) vs straight v.34 (which I
thoughtlessly dubbed analog).

Adam Wills Global 2000 Communications
Director of Networking Systems 1840 Western Ave.
sysadmin@global2000.net Albany, NY, 12203
http://www.global2000.net (518) 452-1465