Re: [Q]: NAS-Port-Type = 56K perhaps? (fwd)

Adam Wills (sysadmin@global2000.net)
Thu, 17 Jul 1997 12:32:06 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 17 Jul 1997, Brian Elfert wrote:

> How many ISPs really need to do this type of limiting?
>
> In the USA ISP market, does the extra 20000 bps really use up that much
> extra bandwidth to be worth worrying about? I can see doing this for
> non-North American ISPs, as bandwidth is more expensive.

Dunno about the rest of you, but it's not a matter of charging MORE for
using it, but finding out who the hell is using it and how many of them
are using it. <bite-tounge> We put in USR x2 </bite-tongue> months ago,
and they have built in vendor-spec radius attributes to show x2 connects
and speeds etc, and we have lots of pretty charts that basically says
users LIKE x2, and get good speeds (46-50k average) and that we need more
X2 ports. If livingston doesn't distinquish between 56 and straight
analog, then how ill isp's ever know if 56k even is worth the investment.
I suppose you could just buy ALL pm3's, replace ALL your pm2's (buy on
FAITH) that EVERYONE will have 56k modems and that will avoid you needing
to see these stats to determine future buying- OR you could get one or 2
pm3's, look at the stats (IF livingston puts in the 56k vs analog
attribute) and see when you need more pure digital modems. We are still
waiting 'for a product' before we buy any 56kflex units from any vendor,
until then we like the X2 USR method, (well actually the users do, i dont
care for the company behind it much).

Adam Wills Global 2000 Communications
Director of Networking Systems 1840 Western Ave.
sysadmin@global2000.net Albany, NY, 12203
http://www.global2000.net (518) 452-1465