Re: OSPF checksum error on Cisco

W Christopher Martin (wcm@onramp.ca)
Sat, 12 Jul 1997 22:34:10 -0400 (EDT)

Stephen Fisher writes:
> I have a PM2e running ComOS 3.5.1b17 on a 10baseT Ethernet with a Cisco
> 2501. For some reason lately I have been getting this syslog error every
> ten seconds from the Cisco:
>
> Jul 12 17:10:48 eth0-router0.Gallup.cia-g.com 1740: Jul 12 17:10:47:
> %OSPF-4-ERRRCV: Received invalid packet: Bad Checksum from 206.206.162.3,
> Ethernet0

You aren't alone. I reported this to support@livingston.com on Monday
(July 7), but haven't received any response yet.

> A few days ago the ethernet wires between both devices were replaced
> because the others weren't made very well in the first place. That fixed
> it so that both devices become OSPF neighbors and exchange routes now.
> They didn't previously.
>
> But the problem continues, any ideas what could be causing this? All
> other communications work without problems between the devices.

Actually I've found that the problem comes and goes depending on
the order in which machines are rebooted. I didn't need to make
any hardware changes before it temporarily went away.

> I have PM2e's and Cisco's on other ethernets communicating with no
> problems. Also the Cisco 2501 above is speakign to GateD without
> problems.

Right, but you might also notice that gated complains about the same
type of checksum errors from the pm2e, just not as frequently.

Is anyone else using OSPF on a Portmaster without seeing these errors?

Chris Martin
Onramp Network Services Inc.