Re: BGP

Jon Lewis (jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net)
Fri, 11 Jul 1997 01:09:08 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 10 Jul 1997, HAL 9000 #3 wrote:

> I love the whole concept of CPU usage reporting. It's a perfect
> example of Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle. How much CPU was being
> used before the CPU usage monitor was run? Who knows? It changes the
> condition of the CPU by observing the CPU's condition.

Sure...everything that happens on such a system affects the CPU. I just
don't buy the excuse "it would take a major rewrite to monitor CPU use in
ComOS". If it's a time sharing system, just write a CPU montoring
process, and see how much time it gets to share :) It can't be as bad as
they make it sound. And like others have said, would you trust a BGP
router if you could have no idea how loaded the CPU is? When the router
starts acting up, is it bugs? is it the CPU falling over? Who knows?

Jon Lewis <jlewis@fdt.net> | Unsolicited commercial e-mail will
Network Administrator | be proof-read for $199/message.
Florida Digital Turnpike |
________Finger jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net for PGP public key_______