Re: BGP

Tom Samplonius (tom@sdf.com)
Thu, 10 Jul 1997 14:59:38 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 10 Jul 1997, HAL 9000 #3 wrote:

> > I was too until someone brought up the lack of processor utilization
> > reporting in ComOS, meaning there is no way to determine how hard you are
> > hitting your CPU. Take a couple of full views, and do some filtering;
>
> I love the whole concept of CPU usage reporting. It's a perfect
> example of Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle. How much CPU was being
> used before the CPU usage monitor was run? Who knows? It changes the
> condition of the CPU by observing the CPU's condition.

What? Another Livigonston engineering snow job. Or are you in the
excuses department? :)

Use a CPU utilization measuring system that measures idle time. That
way the stats gathering only eats CPU which you aren't using. Perhaps a
simple counter that you increment when idle. Sure, this isn't going
to give you a fancy percentage utilization thingy, but it how busy ComOS
is under the hood.

It would also kinda cool to have ComOS increment a counter everytime a
packet is routed. Then later convert that into packets/second, every
couple of minutes. That way you can gauge packet load.

> Isn't technology wonderful?

Solutions are wonderful.

> --G.
> --
> 'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves | Benjamin D. Hutchins, texaport minion
> Did gyre and gimble in the wabe: | Livingston Enterprises, Inc.
> All mimsy were the borogoves, | BellNet 800-458-9966 FAX 510-737-2110
> And the mome raths outgrabe. -><- | http://www.livingston.com/ S.I.G.

Tom