Re: BGP (fwd)

Robert Hanson (roberth@cet.com)
Thu, 10 Jul 1997 21:13:20 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 10 Jul 1997, Chris Britton wrote:

> If the only way you can verify a router is working correctly is by
> monitoring the cpu usage then you are in pretty bad shape. If you really
> must know what the cpu is doing hook up an external monitor like they do at
> livingston (as MZ stated earlier) and monitor it.

most people dont have the equipment, knowledge, skills, or time to do
this. altough i respect your opinion and as an electrical engineer i know
where you are coming from, it virtually makes the argument invalid.

although i know that livingston prides itself on making tight resourceful
os's that are not bloated, they can and IMHO should be working for these
types of things in their "future" products. you dont have to bloat to give
the people what they want. also knowing that they wont give us boloney
until it is prime rib, i'd guess this stuff is at least being considered.

the market(s) they want will dictate if we get units that eat some or all
other products that do those things.

> I look at it this way. ComOS works. It not only works, it works great.

does it? or does it do what it was designed for and only that? yes, it
gets the job done for its intended uses and very well.

> Now if you want them to totally re-write and re-engineer the code then I
> suggest you, and anyone else who wants this feature, volunteer to be guinea
> pigs for the months of alpha and beta testing while they get the new
> ComOS+CPU monitor code working.

i volunteer! send me 2 or 3 of everything. ill devote 25 to 50 percent of
my time testing it for freebies.

> Personally I'd rather see them woking on features like NFAS and future
> support for IPv6. But I guess these features won't be worth anything
> since unless we can monitor the cpu usage then it can't be working.
> brit@labyrinth

you will, they are. they release it when it's done and ready for prime
time. i just dont see how le can be tunnel vision.

Robert H. Hanson
422 West Riverside Cutting Edge Communications, Inc.
Suite #516
Spokane, Wa. 99201 Regional Commercial Internet Service Provider
(509) 444-INET email: roberth@cet.com - http://www.cet.com/