RE: Shell Access

E Kelly Bond (ekbond@gnat.net)
Thu, 10 Jul 1997 14:22:31 -0400

On Tue, 8 Jul 1997, Luther D. Keal wrote:

>I've got a subscriber that wants shell access. He's using a
Linux box
>with Minicom router as the dial-up media.
>
>He just wants shell access.
>
>I'm using PM-3 and a Linux box for authentication.
>
>How do I set up the PM-3 and/or the Radius to shut off PPP for
his session
>so he comes straight in thru the PM-3 and into the Unix shell
account.

>Sounds simple, but I'm clueless.
>
>Dave Keal
>SIERRA INTERNET

This may or may not be an acceptable solution for you:

We allow shell access using a portmaster "shell" user. Ie. create
a user in the portmaster called shell with the following settings:

Name Type Address/Host Service RIP
-------- ---------------- ------------------- ---------- ---
shell Login User xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx Telnet

where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the host you wish to allow shell access
and set the password for the shell user to "NULL" (leave it blank).

Whe the customer access the portmaster, he enters "shell" at the
login prompt and is immediatly given a telnet session to the
server.

Do not set an account in the /etc/raddb/users file for the shell
account and it will be given the "default" parameters.

I am not aware of a downside to this configuration. If they exist,
I am sure this group will point them out.

Kelly

--
E Kelly Bond          ekbond@gnat.net        ICQ=116311
PGP Public Key = http://www.gnat.net/ekbond/pgpkey.html