Re: PM3 stopping?

Chad Scott (chad@txdirect.net)
Sun, 6 Jul 1997 01:03:28 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 5 Jul 1997, Leonard wrote:

> I had a PM3 unit suddenly stop responding. I tried ping, telnet, and
> even direct cable-console connect, but couldn't get a thing. Funny thing
> was the (red) ethernet LED on the PM3 was still blinking. So I had no
> choice except to power-cycle it. It works fine again now. I just wish I
> could've gotten some info out of it as to why that happened :(
> Anyone have any ideas? If it helps, the other PM3s are still alive.
> Oh, it runs ComOS 3.5.1b11 and was up for about 60 days nonstop b4 that.

One thing to try in the future, before power cycling, is to plug a serial
cable into the console port and then unplug the ethernet. If this
"unlocks" the PM3, you are probably under a Denial Of Service attack
(DOS). It is nearly impossible to prevent these attacks, and they can
bring just about anything to its knees.

Chad Scott | chad@txdirect.net
Systems Administrator | Voice 210-308-9800 x206
Internet Direct, Incorporated | FAX 210-308-9240
Finger chad@txdirect.net for PGP Public Key