Re: Traceroute *s with portmasters (fwd)

Stephen Zedalis (tintype@exis.net)
Sat, 5 Jul 1997 14:19:33 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 5 Jul 1997, Stephen Fisher wrote:

>Look at it this way. EVERY other TCP/IP stack I know of allows Windows
>traceroutes through just fine, without adding special code to make it work
>with Windows. Except ComOS. Perhaps it was something lacking in the
>ComOS code.

One more time... What is happening here is that Microsoft's tracert is
using an all-UDP method, which is completely different from the previous
implementations of traceroute which is UDP/ICMP as defined in common usage
vice RFC. So bottom line is that tracert is not traceroute, and so what if
it behaves differently on ComOS vice the several stacks that have been
tried? The point is moot, Livingston fixed the code to make the
Micro-philes happy in the latest beta ComOS. Lets move on. Besides
changes in network technology are making the old standby's like ping and
traceroute less effective. For example, many people are turning ICMP off
and/or hiding behind firewalls due to denial of service attacks. Of more
interest is the new rash of "network diagnosis" tools that crank out
totally bogus solutions to non-existent problems ala NetMedic.