Re: OR-HS Problems??

Kelley Lingerfelt (pm2e@cococo.net)
Sat, 5 Jul 1997 05:16:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 4 Jul 1997, Kyle Platts wrote:

> >They are, they are both Adtran TSUs, one set to internal timing on our end
> and the other set to network at the remote end. I changed the INT-INV to
> just INT on the TX Clock at both ends, but no change.
>
> >It is a full T1, and we have set the channels up to limit it to 512K,
> actually it is just supposed to be 128K, but after so much grief, we
> upped it to 512K on both ends, so they could at least fly while the time
> was right.
>
> Why? If you have a full T-1, why don't you use it?

Because we are selling them a 128K connection, and the only kind of
line we can get is a full T1, they don't have Fractional T1s in this neck
of the woods. Frame relay is only if you want to tie into the BellSouth
network.

> >We are dealing with two different Phone companies on this one, and I
> suspect some type of incompatability problem somewhere between them. A
>
> This is possible, but not likely. With the use of SONET facilities it
> solves these problems.
>
> I think I would need to know more about the circuit design. At the T-1 level, all timing is passed through, unless, they run this circuit through a DS0 DACS to limit the speed to 128k, then you would have to take timing off of the loop on both ends.
>
> >BellSouth tech talked to one of my associates today, and tried to lay this
> story on him. That the timing of the CSU/DSUs could not be trusted, that
> we need some super reference, because CSU/DSUs just couldn't do it, they
> would eventually lose sync, they might stay up for 20 or 30 days at a
> time, but a good rain and the circuits started drying out, they would
> start skipping beats here and there.
>
> This would only happen if you were referencing 2 different clock sources.
>
> >They ran their standard stress tests, and of course there were no
> problems, and after the tests were over, he did notice some glitches,
>
> What kind of glitches? bi-polars, alarms, loss of signal, slips, crc's what?

We are treated as mushrooms, we are kept in the closet and fed
bullshit. If you know what I mean.

> >which he contributed to our CSU/DSU timing, this is starting to happen to
> another one of our dedicated T1s also. This one was functioning perfectly,
> for the last 20 or 30 days, but they had some kind of major problem the
> other day, no denying it, they were in the ditches physically on this one,
> but ever since we hardly ever stay connected for over 2 or 3 hours at a
> time.
>

> In the ditches doing what? Fiber work, cable throw, new section, what?
Need more info.

All the info we got was that they had some kind of problem with a
repeater on the T1.