Re: Off Topic: Hostile Takeover on IRC

Sherwood Portmaster-List (livingston@iav.com)
Fri, 4 Jul 1997 11:58:00 -1000 (HST)

On Fri, 4 Jul 1997, Gail A. Harless wrote:

> One of our top employees irc's regularly. Last night, his channel
> experienced a major hostile takeover. The takeover was accomplished using
> twelve bots. The primary person who is in charge of the takeover is using
> the following address: -1-1-1@cobi.nasa.gov. We are wondering if anyone
> out there may know if this NASA link is a restricted link. We understand
> that NASA sells accounts and links. But the ".gov" is normally reserved
> strictly for government use computers, and the cobi site is a highly
> restricted NASA site, although NASA may be selling accounts from them.
> My employee was wondering if anyone here knows if that is a NASA account
> line or if it is restricted, and if it is restricted, then the hackers can
> be dealt with legally.

1) what irc network? contact the ircops there first and foremost
2) are you sure that address is not spoofed?
3) hey don't take irc seriously! I don't, my channel was taken over for 3
days.. *shrug*

I would contact NASA regarding the potential abuse of that system/machine,
but it'll be hard to prove especially with all the spoofware that's out
there....

--
Aloha from Paradise,

Sherwood