Re: Windows and Unix access to modems on PM2

Larry Williamson (larry@mitra.com)
Wed, 2 Jul 1997 20:12:08 -0400

Farshad Tavallaei writes:

> 1. Go to www.tactical-sw.com and get the dialout/ip (this is for your win95/NT
> machines.

> 3. on the PM, create two modem pools (one for the unix boxes (in.pmd) and one
> for the Win95/Nt machines.
>
> NOTE: YOU CAN NOT USE THE SAME MODEMS FOR BOTH in.pmd AND dialout/ip. THAT IS
> WHY I WANTED YOU TO CREATE TWO MODEM POOLS.

This is good news. It is not perfect by any means. I don't like two
modem pools. But this is pretty close. I will try it.

Thanks for the quick response.

> P.S. Cisco can not do this! the only thing you can do on a cisco is to
> reverse telnet to a port and dial out charactor mode (not packet
> mode (i.e. ppp))

This is what I thought. But as I said, one cannot always tell what is
possible by noting the omissions on a marketing blurb.

Back to the modem pool issue. I wonder if it is understood why it
matters that two modem pools are not desirable? We are not a large
company. Every modem line is an additional cost. Not a lot, but
still who needs to be throwing money at Bell? They certainly do not
need it!!

In our case, 5 modems would probably do nicely for the Unix group.
Another 5 for the Windows group would be appropriate. But we don't
really need 10. Probably 6 or 7 would do, since both groups will
almost never need all 5 of "their" modems at the same time. There is
a lot of quite time

I am going to experiment with this software from Tactical Software.
It maybe that with our constrained requirments, I can do some thing
abou the separate pools, (ie. have them hunt for modems from opposite
ends?) I dunno know. We will see.

Kind regards,
Larry