Re: PM3 Connect Speeds and Disconnects

Sherwood Pekelo (spekelo@iav.com)
Tue, 29 Apr 1997 20:05:00 -1000 (HST)

On Tue, 29 Apr 1997, Dave Hahn wrote:

> We just set up our PM-3 about 2 weeks ago. We upgraded to ComOS 3.5c6 as
> per livingston tech support. We are still getting frequent disconnects and
> our users get very poor connect speeds. The same people connecting to our
> POTS lines or BRI lines at 28800-33600 seem to get anywhere from 16800 - 26400
> with occasional 28800. We have yet to see a 33600. We have 1 PRI currenty
> connected
> to the PM# with another on the way and are quite concerned at the expense
> we have
> incurred with a product that does not work as well as our POTS lines with
> modems.

Again... the reported connect rates don't really mean much in the overall
scheme of things... what is their actual throughput? What is the feel as
they browse the web?

People have reported here that 14.4Kbps connects work faster than 28.8Kbps
at a competitor's site.... My users thus far are happy (mostly except for
those with V.FC) that 1) the time to connect is faster 2) throughput is
better 3) it just feels faster... the last is the most important factor...
as it is the impression of the client and not any actual empirical
throughput that determines their satisfaction... well, except for tech
weenies that just gotta have sub-130 ms access times.. ;)

--
Aloha,

Sherwood