Re: user ID Length

Sherwood Pekelo (spekelo@iav.com)
Mon, 28 Apr 1997 19:32:25 -1000 (HST)

On Mon, 28 Apr 1997, Thomas Kinnen wrote:

> Hello,
>
> What is the max length on a user ID for a login account?

depends....

what os? what program are you using to authenticate a user? What other
operating systems do you expect e-mail to go to?

You could in effect make a 128-character login name, but only the first 16
characters may be valid, depending on OS...

Pretty much, what is the situation that you want to use this for?

We try to have users max their username at 8 characters. No funny
symbols, though we have one or two that insist on a dash in their name....

*shrug*

--
Aloha,

Sherwood