Re: PM-3 and Win NT

Dusan Janjic (djanjic@rockbridge.net)
Mon, 28 Apr 1997 15:48:01 +0000

> Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 11:38:02 -0500 (CDT)
> From: "Mark M. Gengler" <3XA2GENGLERM@vmsb.csd.mu.edu>
> Subject: PM-3 and Win NT
> To: portmaster-users@livingston.com

> Hi, I'm a startup ISP investigating digital modem solutions, and the
> PM-3 looks to be a great all-in-one solution. However, I have some concerns
> using it with my existing Windows NT Server 4.0 network, as it seems Radius and
> the rest of the software is geared towards UNIX (incidentally I run one UNIX
> box for DNS). Has anyone been using the PM-3 for PPP dialups with Win NT with
> any success? I'd especially like to hear how people think it compares to
> running just generic NT RAS. Thanks for any response, as this is an expensive
> descision for a product that might not work well...
>
> Mark

You already have one response regarding RadiusNT from Emerald, aka
IEA. Great product, it is easy to setup and it can be incorporated in
to a nice billing system, Emerald, although that one is not as easy
to setup. As far as PM 3 goes, if you can afford it, and if you expect
quick growth, there is nothing to compare between RAS and such a box.
We are having few minor problems with some of our users using CT1,
PRI is not yet available in this area. All the headaches we have
had with NT RAS went away by implementing PM3. By the time you
decide and place your purchase order Livingston will ( hope, hope)
have worked out all the bugs.

If you like more details I'll be glad to talk to you over the
phone.
Dusan Janjic
Rockbridge Global Village
17 S. Jefferson Street