Re: (ASCEND) MAX 4048 and 4060? (fwd)

Dave Berzins (berzins@nucleus.com)
Mon, 28 Apr 1997 08:17:03 -0600

At 03:44 PM 4/25/97 -0700, you wrote:

>Absolute worst case scenario is double the traffic on the ethernet - and
>you know what, that will never happen. In reality very few calls end up
>spanning multiple chassis - you may get a could that hit the last few ports
>on one box using some on the next, but that's about it. Over all the
increase
>is completely negligible.

I would have to disagree MZ. All our PRI's are load balanced meaning that
no one PRI ever fills up before calls are already being answered on another
PRI. The telco has this in place on all T1/PRI circuits they sell. I am
wondering if this will be a hardware problem for the future?

>100Mb ethernet is not a requirement for it to work either, it is overkill.
>10Mb should be enough to handle the traffic from the chassis, and since the
>cross-talk is low there is no appreciable increase. If the ethernet itself
>is very noisy then it is really time to move to a switched ethernet system
>in any case. 100Mb would be a bandaid, not a cure.

Yes it may be overkill, but thats all we buy now as the hardware cost is
not all that different. Give people the option and I think you will be
surprised.

Dave...

_\\|//_
(-0-0-)
| Dave Berzins, President Nucleus Inc. 1835B 10 Ave S.W. Calgary, AB, T3C 0K2|
| 403-209-0000 Voice, 403-541-9400 Modem, 403-541-9474 Fax |
|email:berzins@nucleus.com www: http://www.nucleus.com finger:nis.nucleus.com|
|| ||
ooO Ooo