Re: What do the db levels Mean

Joel M Snyder (Joel_M_Snyder@Opus1.COM)
Thu, 24 Apr 1997 23:36:21 -0700 (MST)

> From: Paul M Mockett Jr <pauljr@seanet.com>

> My first CT1 from MCI always had these levels, and my current 3 CT1
> lines from USWest do too. Should I be complaining to USWest to get
> these levels raised, or do I need to shorten my cat5 cable run from
> the current 30 feet to something closer?

You should stop using cat5 cable. That is entirely inappropriate for a
connection to a T1 network. Use a real T1 cable, which is a rather
specialized cable between RJ48s, with shielding and cable geometry
promoting separation of pairs. See "D-shield" in any T1 text.

jms

Joel M Snyder, 1404 East Lind Road, Tucson, AZ, 85719
Phone: +1 520 324 0494 (voice) +1 520 324 0495 (FAX)
jms@Opus1.COM http://www.opus1.com/jms Opus One