Re: Routing dialup addresses that don't share subnet

Stephen Fisher (lithium@cia-g.com)
Tue, 22 Apr 1997 23:51:30 -0600 (MDT)

On 23 Apr 1997, Ed Donovan wrote:

> Thanks very much, MZ, and Stephen Fisher. (Excuse my

You're welcome.

> Now I have to ask the embarrassingly naive questions, if you don't mind
> too much. Will only routers w/ OSPF, and machines running gated or some
> equivalent, be aware that the assigned and static address routed by OSPF
> are on the lan? Beyond whether the Ascends work (MAX 1800's, I'll

Yes. The other boxes will send packets to their default gateway, who is
hopefully running OSPF and it will take care of it for them.

> research that), I guess some win95 and NT machines (yuck) on the lan may
> have to reach them. Will an OSPF router, set as their main gateway,
> route that traffic without much special/difficult configuration? (Blow
> me off if I'm off-topic here.) What sucks about our current setup is

Yes. The packet will go to the default router gateway which will look up
the destination in its routing tables and if there is an ospf [or other]
entry then it will bounce it back onto the ethernet or out a WAN interfce.

- Steve
- Systems Manager
- Community Internet Access, Inc.
- Gallup and Grants, New Mexico