Re: Enabling VLSM

Andrew (redshift@istar.ca)
Tue, 22 Apr 1997 23:16:16 -0600

Thanks all for the prompt response!

I did a little more investigation and found the ComOS 3.5 release note on
the livingston web site (fancy that!). I still haven't figured out why they
shipped the 3.3.3 release notes with my 3.5 PM2...?

Anyway, I quote..

In release 3.5, variable length subnet masks are supported. To ease the
transition, the coomand 'set user-netmask off' treats all netmasks
specified in the user table or Radius as though they were 255.255.255.255,
the way earlier releases did. The command 'set user-netmask on' adds routes
based on the specified netmasks. The default is off.

So there we go!

Andrew Barton
RedShift Information Technology
----------
> From: Stephen Fisher <lithium@cia-g.com>
> To: Andrew <redshift@istar.ca>
> Cc: Portmaster Mailing <portmaster-users@livingston.com>
> Subject: Re: Enabling VLSM
> Date: Tuesday, April 22, 1997 1:19 PM
>

> VLSM support is automatically enabled when you use ComOS 3.5.
>
> On Tue, 22 Apr 1997, Andrew wrote:
>
> > I am currently setting up a PM2e-R on a frame relay line and my service
> > provider has given me an IP address with a netmask of 255.255.255.252.
> > In an older posting from this group (Routing Problem - Fun with
PM2ER's)