Re: Which NAT required?

Vikram Khare (vkhare@cyberview.net)
Tue, 22 Apr 1997 20:50:44 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 22 Apr 1997, Alex Henthorn wrote:

> dynamically (or in some cases in a fixed assignment for web hosts, etc.) to
> a pool of illegal addresses.

If I had to pick I'd defintely go with #2. The fact that a
non-routeable IP assigned to a workstation in a LAN will limit a
customer's connectivty somewhat isn't usually an issue because they use
their connectivity to primarily browse web sites and e-mail. Not to
mention that this conserves an ISP's address space.

> 3. Where customers get routers from besides you, if at all.

Most customers tend to go with Ascend equipment. We have a large
number of NT freaks who stick cheap internal ISDN cards into the server
and proxy with a static IP. I asked about the Netopia on this list a
week or so ago and it does everything as advertised. Check out their home
page at:

http://www.farallon.com/product/ii_index.html

Sure it looks like an ugly flying saucer and is somewhere
inbetween 1/3 - 1/2 the size of my Sparc20 but it seems to be working
fine since about 9:00 a.m. today to now. I got the box, took out the
router, found a serial cable, ran minicom and within 10minutes it was
setup for NAT and dialed in. I still haven't looked at the manual but
will do so later or any of the documentation but will do so tonight.

When you do support NAT consider how Farallon does it and how
nicely it all works out. Granted I've only tested the router for only 1/2
a day but so far it hasn't given any problems.

--
vkhare@cyberview.net
http://www.cyberview.net