Re: Any Magic Incantation for USWest?

Dale E. Reed Jr. (daler@iea.com)
Sun, 20 Apr 1997 01:23:02 -0700

Doug Ingraham wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Apr 1997, Stephen Fisher wrote:
>

> > Not that I'm aware of. We get line-side CT1's for ~$1200 and trunk-side
> > CT1's for almost $2000 :(
> >
> > It's worth it for us, half of the reason for getting CT1 is the lack of
> > pairs US West can get to us in a reasonsable time-frame so BRI is not an
> > option.
>
> Why ever would they charge more for line side CT1's when it costs them
> more to do so? Or do they have tons of channel banks laying around?
> Wouldn't a Trunk side interface card for their switch cost less than the
> cards for 24 lines and the channel bank, take up less resources in their
> switch and provide a better quality signal to boot? Or am I making too
> much sense?

Your talking about US West here. If it makes sense, you can gurantee
that
they aren't going to do it. Even when they try to do it, they will
always
screw it up the first time around anyways.

I believe the difference they say is "quality". Line side is more A/D
and
D/A, so the quality is less, they charge less. Their tarrifs are
ancient,
and their business model doesn't work anymore.

--
Dale E. Reed Jr.  (daler@iea.com)
       IEA Software, Inc.      |  RadiusNT, Emerald, and NT FAQs