Re: How TIGHT is IP Number Allocation?

Jeffrey J. Mountin (sysop@mixcom.com)
Thu, 17 Apr 1997 20:27:46 -0500

At 08:54 AM 4/17/97 +0000, Matthew S. Crocker wrote:
>On Thu, 17 Apr 1997, Mike Jipping wrote:
>
>We have always routed a 32 IP subnet (30 usable) to our PM2e-30's for use
>in the assigned address pool. Works for me. No the PM3 is a pain because
>48 modems is not a nice subnet. I'm can route 64 easily but then I have
>waste or I could do 32 + 16

Would 2 routes like that work? I can see it with OSPF, but not with RIP
and having a network and broadcast address in the middle.

Use OSPF and start with .2 and you have 14 left over with 5 PM3s. Of
course this give you 30 routes for all 5, which would could get down to 20
roues if you start at .8 instead. I'd have to redo things for PRI, which
would have more routes.

Much neater with the PM2 units. Start the first at .2 and the other 7 at
.32, .64, etc and set the pool-size at 32. for 11 routes.

Kinda miss that....

NAW!

Jeff Mountin - System/Network Administrator
jeff@mixcom.net

MIX Communications
Serving the Internet since 1990