Re: Livingston.com speed

Jeffrey J. Mountin (sysop@mixcom.com)
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 09:27:36 -0500

At 07:08 AM 4/15/97 -0400, Stephen Zedalis wrote:
>On Mon, 14 Apr 1997, Warren Vanichuk wrote:
>
>>I get files almost twice as fast trans-atlantic than I do from
>>ftp.livingston.com, yet you are saying it's our connectivity.. Yep, I can
>>see the logic.
>>
>> Aluve, Warren
>>
>>PS - 7.89kB/s?? WOW! That is the single fastest speed I have ever gotten
>>from the Livingston FTP site.. My average speed is between 1.0kB/s to
>>2.0kB/s..
>
>Gee guys, maybe it isn't connectivity at all but the router/net/server,
>eh? FTP sites get hit pretty hard, and none of them are consistently
>fast. Depends on time of day/who's on/what bandwidth they have etc, etc,
>etc.

Hehe. They should know this, but they sound like typical users "Why is
this site fast, but this one is slow?" and then you patiently try to explain.

<duck>

No offense guys!

FWIW, I see at least 20K during the day, but I prefer to wait till late
night or early morning unless I need it. Just like waiting for the
weekend/evening for that LD call; ie lower "cost" for it. 8-)

Jeff Mountin - System/Network Administrator
jeff@mixcom.net

MIX Communications
Serving the Internet since 1990