(no subject)

Jeffrey J. Mountin (sysop@mixcom.com)
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 08:32:16 -0500

At 05:35 PM 4/14/97 -0400, Dick St.Peters wrote:
>Jeffrey J. Mountin writes:
>> At 01:46 PM 4/13/97 -0600, Stephen Fisher wrote:
>> >
>> >But then it can't give out the primary/secondary name server to users that
>> >ask their ISP to provide it via PPP, can it?
>>
>> Works just fine with 95. Only recently tried this to see if it did work
>> and I didn't break something when I reconfigured.
>
>In other words, a PM configured to use NIS will tell Win95 clients to
>use its NIS servers as DNS servers.
>
>Having spent a long time on a DNS-less NIS network in a past life, I
>rather suspect there are some corporate PM & NIS users who would not
>consider this a feature ...

There may be a slight misunderstanding here. The PM will pass along the
nameserver(s) addresses and the gateway. Even under NIS you need a DNS
resolver, unless you are private and then this is all moot.

Now if it sent the server's NIS name, that would be bad, at least from what
I know of NIS.

Jeff Mountin - System/Network Administrator
jeff@mixcom.net

MIX Communications
Serving the Internet since 1990