Re: PM2E-30 woes

Jeffrey J. Mountin (sysop@mixcom.com)
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 13:17:28 -0500

At 03:02 PM 4/9/97 -0400, Frederic Woodbridge wrote:
>We have a PM2E-30 with USR 28.8Kbps modems. I just recently took over
>as sysadmin and I am not too familiar with the intricacies of
>PortMasters.

Sportster or Courier?

>We also have a hunt group of numbers.
>There are times, however, that the modems just do not pick up when a
>call comes in and reseting the PortMaster. I have researched the issue
>and thought maybe it had something to do with configuring the modems
>individually but I am not sure.

Heat will do it. First they start dropping, then negotiations wack out,
and finally the take a siesta as the temperature rises.

The only other thing thing that I found was a low ring voltage would cause
this, it seems that about 10% of the Sportsters we had were not sensitve
enough (so much for quality control). While this is not likely to be the
case, it was a long time before we nailed it down this.

We sometimes could swap one that was not answering with one that was and
then both would work.

Never saw this with Couriers.

Jeff Mountin - System/Network Administrator
jeff@mixcom.net

MIX Communications
Serving the Internet since 1990